Landrover Owners Club of WA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Belly Tanks Install

3 posters

Go down

Belly Tanks Install Empty Belly Tanks Install

Post by mitcho Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 am

I am seeking advice/Info/Plans as I intend fitting R Davies belly tanks to my Disco and are starting blind basically. I have the tank body install ok in my mind however, I am seeking any information for the plumbing side e.g from tank to tank gravity feed with one pump to the main or two transfer pumps individual to main tank or in series left to right then the main tank. I have no capacity gauges and was seeking a supplier of some tank gauges the tanks have sender units fitted. Any advice or info appreciated. For your consideration. Shocked

mitcho
LROCWA Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Belly Tanks Install Empty Re: Belly Tanks Install

Post by jcdisco Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi Mitcho - I had a D2 with a tank each side outside the chassis rail. To use the fuel I had a Facit type pump for each tank mounted on the chassis so that I could hear when they were running on empty. The output from these pumps was combined in to a line that was then connected to a T cut into the original tank breather where its easy to get at below the filler. No gauges - I just knew approx how long the pumps had to run to complete a transfer. I only pumped one tank at a time.

jcdisco
LROCWA Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mitcho Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi JCDISCO- Thanks for the information I am getting a plan together after perusing E-bay I have two types of pumps available in the 12 volt region and theses being a tank fuel pump to carby/injector pump flows to fuel transfer pumps which are bigger more expensive and boast of higher volume output. Is the facet type pump you mentioned similar standard electric fuel pump encased in one body or a definite electric motor body and pump casing unit similar to mobile pump units on quad spray tank units etc? The price from an electric fuel pump in the vicinity of $27.00 to the transfer fuel pumps of $112.00. Once I have the pumps worked out and I have the plumbing sorted as you have described I can buy the parts including the individual line filters and tank isolation valves then jobs on.

mitcho
LROCWA Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jcdisco Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:33 pm

My pumps were called "Solid state electronic fuel pump" and the block style. They were only the tank to carby type and took about 20 mins to transfer 35 litres. I generally started the transfer when stopped (to check that all connections were good) and then often drive off. I had in line filters (Z14 or so) in front of the pumps. Dont forget to run the tank breathers out too - I went as high as I could get into the OEM breather tube for the transfer breathers ( ie not the fill breathers).

jcdisco
LROCWA Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mitcho Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Thank you jcdisco your information has completed the puzzle and now I can go fourth and make it happen. Cheers

mitcho
LROCWA Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisTottman Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Hey Mitcho,

Send my Dad, BradTot a PM.

He has a Rangie Classic which also has the underbelly sill tanks installed on both sides and the chassis are very similar on those two vehicles, he has fuel pumps setup to pump from one tank to the other (I believe) when the vehicle is climbing on obscure angles.

ChrisTottman
ChrisTottman
LROCWA Commitee Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mitcho Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:04 am

Hi Chris ,

Thank you for sharing that information I will proceed with a fuel pump on each to transfer into the maim tank. Originally I was going to have them equalised by a connecting fuel line however, this would mean that the fuel line cross over would be lower that of the chassis which would obviously be exposed to damage. I discounted this idea for obvious reasons. The only area of concern with these tanks from what I can see is the mounting to the chassis is fixed eg directly bolted and fastened where some circles encourage tanks to be strapped to allow for chassis twist with out the threat of cracking welds on the tank. Cheers

mitcho
LROCWA Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum